Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide

Go down 
+3
.A.Rocky
TheFuzzle
Billboard
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Billboard
Sensei
Sensei

Number of posts : 340
Infractions : draobllib
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide Empty
PostSubject: Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide   Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 4:04 pm

I see that several people on this forum have decided to try to help others by creating guides. This is great! It is what I have been wanting to see since I started this forum. It means you know that you can help. The moderators are here but a moderator can only do so much. I wanted to post a guide on this for those of you that want to make one.

The first thing you need to create a guide is a good topic for it to be about. Try to avoid topics that have been already used unless the guide made before is outdated. There are several mistakes I see when people try to write their own guides.

These mistakes are:

1: The guide has already been written
2: The guide is not neat or easy to read
3: Bad sometimes horrible grammar
4: Words that repeat over and over
5: Links to posts for examples

Now, before we get into the list of mistakes, let’s take a moment and talk about why the use of pictures can be good and bad at the same time. Pictures are not good for long term threads like a guide because the link to the picture could have changed or the picture itself got deleted from your computer. Pictures are great for posting but not too great for guides. In this case, explaining using words is better.

Now, let’s go over the mistakes I mentioned.

1: The guide has already been written.

Like I said, try to avoid this, unless of course the guide is outdated or not written at all well. In this case, making a better guide is better. Once a guide has been stickied, it is pretty much done. If the guide is outdated, talk to a staff member about it and see what they think.

2: The guide is not neat or easy to read.

This is not normally the writer’s fault. This happens because the person writes it in a way that makes since to them. Example: Say the person likes to use slang like “Tis” ‘’Dat” and “Dere.” That can be confusing for some people. Sometimes, a person won’t even read it if it is not easy to read.

3: Bad sometimes horrible grammar.

No one will want to even read your guide all the way if the grammar is so bad, that the person cannot even read it. To avoid this: try typing it up on Microsoft Word and transfer it to the forum via the famous “Copy and Paste.’’. It is also a good idea to Private Message the guide to a staff member and have them correct some mistakes or tell you where they are. You can then correct the mistakes and post the guide. Another thing you need to remember is putting a good name for the guide. Make sure it has something to do with the guide and not just something random like “IMPORTANT” or “PLEASE READ.”

4: Words that repeat over and over.

Whenever you make your guide, watch out for the words that repeat over and over again. Words like, “here” and “there.” Those words can become annoying and can cause a person to stop reading. If you repeat things over and over, the guide becomes boring. Try to watch this as your guide is being put together.

5: Links to posts for examples.

This is a good thought but it has two negatives and only one positive. The one positive is that it can be a good example. The two bad sides of this are that there is a persons name beside the quote if it is bad and the post could have gotten deleted by the user or a moderator.

You don’t have to be a moderator to make good guides. It can take a single person to change the world so writing a guide is not that hard.

Follow this guide and your guides will be awesome!

HAPPY POSTING!
Back to top Go down
http://xat.com/theimportantsnakes
TheFuzzle
Mystery Sensei
Mystery Sensei
TheFuzzle

Number of posts : 2087
Infractions : 0/5
Credits : 3032
Registration date : 2008-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide   Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 4:26 pm

i think this could be a joke, i think everything ccan be found in search.... ty for guide im sure it will be stikcied again.. cheers
Back to top Go down
Billboard
Sensei
Sensei

PostSubject: Re: Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide   Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 4:31 pm

TheFuzzle wrote:
i think this could be a joke, i think everything ccan be found in search.... ty for guide im sure it will be stikcied again.. cheers

Search is not always the best because the results come with what you put. Writing guides doesnt bring up guides, it only brings up anything named guide.
Back to top Go down
TheFuzzle
Mystery Sensei
Mystery Sensei
TheFuzzle

Number of posts : 2087
Credits : 3032
Registration date : 2008-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide   Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 4:37 pm

no but u have to search, lets say i wanna know infractions search infractions.

then u see all the topicswith it and if u see a topiuc that may say something to your needs click it and SHABAM!
Back to top Go down
Billboard
Sensei
Sensei

PostSubject: Re: Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide   Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 4:40 pm

TheFuzzle wrote:
no but u have to search, lets say i wanna know infractions search infractions.

then u see all the topicswith it and if u see a topiuc that may say something to your needs click it and SHABAM!

It takes just as long using the search as just looking at the stickies in the sub forums.
Back to top Go down
.A.Rocky
Rule Violater
.A.Rocky

Number of posts : 2904
Infractions : Unlimited!
Credits : 6888
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide   Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 5:48 pm

Perfect guide to the guide.
Back to top Go down
http://xat.com/penguincheats
Billboard
Sensei
Sensei

PostSubject: Re: Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide   Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 6:07 pm

.A.Rocky wrote:
Perfect guide to the guide.

And that means? lol
Back to top Go down
Shinydeoxys
Mystery Sensei
Mystery Sensei
Shinydeoxys

Number of posts : 1404
Infractions : 1/5
Credits : 2150
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide   Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 6:47 pm

Perfect guide for making guides?
Back to top Go down
http://shinydeoxys.wordpress.com/
ohiostate44
Mastered Ninja
Mastered Ninja
ohiostate44

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide   Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 1:53 pm

nice guide guide. lol.
Back to top Go down
http://ohiostate44.wordpress.com
Quicksmart
Dojo Ninja
Dojo Ninja
Quicksmart

Number of posts : 107
Infractions : 6/5
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide   Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 2:32 am

<button> GREAT GUIDE </button>
Back to top Go down
Race211
Dojo Ninja
Dojo Ninja
Race211

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide   Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 7:49 pm

Cool Guide!
Back to top Go down
http://www.race211scpcheats.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide   Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide Empty

Back to top Go down

Creating the Perfect Guide...Guide
Page 1 of 1